I know I’ve missed this for the past few weeks but I’m going to be honest with you, it wasn’t until this week that I found some things on the interwebs that were Friday Faves worthy. But boy did the World Wide Web come back with a vengeance and serve me up a big healing on Internet awesomeness.
- First, and most importantly, yesterday social media came through in the clutch to make all of my Pi(e) Day dreams come true. This is a MUST read story (even if it’s a bit of shameless self-promotion… – It’s a Pi(e) Day Miracle via me on Storify.
- Keeping with the shameless self-promotion theme, I was in Runner’s World video about a breathing technique called “rhythmic breathing” that goes along with our April issue feature on how to breathe while running. – Breathe Right via Runner’s World.
- After reading a hilarious and awesome review of the new Oiselle sports bras, I decided, I must get my tatas in them asap (I ordered the strappy!) – Have Boobs Will Test Your Sports Bras via Once Upon a (L)ime
- Greatist re-designed their website this week and now they have these wicked awesome community pages so the greatists of the world can interact! Check them out and join the conversation! – #imagreatist community via Greatist
- Then there’s this, and it’s awesome:
Also, from this very Irish girl to all of you, Happy St. Paddy’s Day! I’ll be celebrating by running a 10-K in Massachusetts with my closest friends on Saturday, followed by an 18-mile long run with them Sunday, which will no doubt be followed by some celebratory St. Paddy’s Day beers! Cheers!
This weekend I’ll run 16 miles, my longest distance ever, as part of training for Big Sur. Sixteen WHOLE miles! That is a lot of miles. I’m scared but grinning in anticipation at the challenge.
Phew, it’s Friday everyone! If you’re living in the Northeast (and really the majority of the U.S. right now) you have survived one of the coldest weeks of the winter so far! This has been my first real bought with winter running and I’m proud to say I kicked winter in it’s piriformis and ran outside anyway. Take that, Mr. Frosty. While running these frigid miles, of course I was thinking about what to add to my Friday Faves. Here they are:
- On Thursday, a bunch of the Runner’s World ladies and myself took a “Gentle Flow” yoga class after work. I read this post by Sally, from Oiselle, and she echoes our sentiments about yoga for runners – Yoga for Dummy (Runners) via Oiselle Blog
- Dream race alert! Someday I will complete the Empire State Building Run-Up – Stairway to Hell: Racing Up the Empire State Building via Greatist
- It’s amazing how training for a marathon can alter your entire lifestlye. I’m vowing to cook much more and that begins with buying a crock-pot this weekend. Here are 77 healthy crock-pot dishes- I will attempt to try (most) of them. – 77 Healthy Crock-Pot Recipes via Greatist
- Post of the week: I really liked this post from Ali on the Run about taking responsibility – Taking Responsibility via Ali on the Run
- If you’re a runner in Boston and you haven’t heard of the November Project, you need to get your shiz together. This running group takes winter running seriously, as portrayed in their amazing feet (pun totally intended) of completing their 8-miler Ninja Race -
- A friend asked me this morning what my plans were for the weekend and my response: Well, I’m training for a marathon so I have a lot of running to do… 14 miler you are MINE tomorrow #marathontraining
I missed the Friday Faves last week because I was in Florida for the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend but I thought I’d give an extra awesome-packed five tidbits from this week today!
This has been quite the crazy week for me between traveling back to Massachusetts for the holidays to coming back to Pennsylvania for work the day after Christmas, to a snowstorm, to some iffy but successful treadmill runs- I’ve been all over the place! But, lucky for you, I still managed to find some pretty cool running things on the interweb. So, here they are- my Friday Faves!
- Last week I found out my blog was nominated for the Best New Running Blog of 2012 for the #RunChat blog awards! Honestly I couldn’t believe it but I felt so humbled and honored to have been nominated. The winners were announced today and although I didn’t win, I was first runner up to a pretty amazing blogger- The Runner Dad. Congrats to him and the rest of the winners in the other categories! You can check them out here- RunChat Blog Award Winners announced via RunChat
- One of my coworkers, Megan Hetzel, launched her newly designed running blog this week. It’s pretty great so you should definitely check it out -Meg Runner Girl
- On Wednesday night I took part in a #FitFluential twitter chat co-hosted by the Commitment Day race series. This race series is pretty inspirational and challenges runners and non-runners alike to make a commitment as opposed to a New Year’s resolution on January 1, 2013. Check out the race series and what they’re all about here: Commitment Day
- Found this great read about how exercise and running will make you smarter (but we already knew that, right runners?)– via New York Times Well blog
- VIDEO: Girl Power! What if men and women switched roles at the gym? (pretty sure this is already happening)- via Greatist
- Because I had to drive back to Pennsylvania to work the day after Christmas, my family had to switch around some of our typical holiday traditions. Usually we’ll go to mass on Christmas Eve and then to a family friend’s house for dinner and drinks. This year however, my mom planned a really nice day in Boston and we walked around, took pictures and went to a really nice dinner. I was so happy to be able to spend this time with my family because I have definitely missed them tremendously since moving down the PA. But, it’s precious days like we had on Christmas Eve that really make you appreciate each other’s company. Here’s one picture from our day in Boston.
- I might have some really big news coming next week, so in honor of that here’s a great quote:
Run happy this weekend y’all!
This week in Friday Faves:
- My blog was nominated for a #RunChat award! I’ve been nominated for the “best new running blog” for 2012! If you have two seconds, and a Twitter account, please, please, please vote for me! Voting ends on Dec. 26 at 9 p.m. and I would really appreciate the support! You can vote here: Vote in the 2012 #RunChat Blog Awards
- This week in the #slowpokediaries: Favorite run of the week was when I played 5.5 miles of tag with some of my speedy co-workers. They said it would be an “easy” 5, but easy for them is 8:00/mile pace. It was a great run though and one of my fastest yet!
- If you haven’t seen “Snow Fall: The Avalanche at Tunnel Creak” on the New York Times website yet, you are missing out! They’ve done some really amazing work integrating multimedia and feature writing that just makes my nerd journalism self warm with joy!
- The 100 Most Influential People in Health and Fitness in 2012 via Greatist- this included Runner’s World’s own Chief Running Officer, Bart Yasso!!
- I have to give a shout out to fellow run blogger Ashley of Running Bun for her feature on Fitness Magazine’s Fit Blogger We Love! So awesome Ashley!!
- I wrote a story this week for Runner’s World about Doug Masiuk, a type 1 diabetic who is about to complete the ultimate running trek- across the United States. Doug is running to raise awareness of the rise of type 2 diabetes in the U.S. and to inspire type 1 diabetics. Check out the story here: Type 1 Diabetic Running Across the Country via Runner’s World.
- And this motivation for your weekend long runs:
I spend a lot of time on the Internet during the week- hence, being a multimedia editor – and I tend to come across some pretty cool, weird and awesome things, especially related to running (because I work at the running mecca). I’ve decided I’m going to share these things with y’all every Friday with my Friday Faves. This is by no means an original idea, tons of bloggers do it, but now you can add mine to the list. But, mine will be a little different in that it’s not going to be just about running, but rather things that made me laugh, things I found interesting or just things that I find random and awesome and want you to know about. So, to kick off my inaugural Friday Faves, here ya go!
- This will just make you smile- There’s Running and Then There’s High-5 Running via Greatist
- I recently took a day trip up to NYC and was reminded how much I absolutely love that city. So, when I saw the NY Mag series about why we all love NYC I had to share – NY State of Mind via New York Magazine
- My kind of running playlist! – Sub-4 Marathon Playlist via Enthusiastic Runner
- Staying Strong Through Injury- via LV Runs NYC (sidenote: Lora has been cleared to run so a HUGE congrats goes out to her!!)
- My very own gift guide for runners! – via Me! (Fit Girl Happy Girl)
- “Clipped” by Oiselle- The story of one women’s running apparel company’s quest to make a USATF/USOC/IAAF approved singlet for the Olympic trials.
- This is usually how I feel on Fridays – “It’s astounding how much one’s stress level goes down with the simple act of switching from skinny jeans to yoga pants.”
Happy Friday y’all! I hope you run strong on your long runs and have a great rest of your weekend!
If you have some extra time don’t forget to connect with me on social media!